Gardening, like most projects, is much easier when you have the right tools. Below I’ve listed some some common tools that will make your time in the garden more efficient.
- Hands – The original tool! Great for digging, planting, pruning and hauling.
- Dirt Rake – Necessary for working the soil
- 3-Prong Cultivator – Great for aeration and working amendments into the first few inches of soil
- Some Type of Hand-held Cultivator – Like this one can make weeding and working smaller patches of soil much easier
- Hand Trowel – Essential for planting and transplanting
- Snips – Makes harvesting and dead-heading a breeze
- Bypass Pruners – Essential for pruning fruit trees and berry bushes
- Wheelbarrow – Gotta cart everything around, right?
- Buckets – Helpful for harvesting and hauling
- Watering Can – Helpful for targeted watering or applying liquid fertilizer
- Stakes/Ties and Trellises – Essential for supporting large or unruly plants like peppers, tomatoes, peas, cucumbers, and pole beans
- Hori Hori Knife – This all-in-one tool is a traditional Japanese gardening implement. If you’re looking for just one tool to carry with you in the garden, this is it.
- Garden Knife – A knife like this one can come in handy for anything from opening bags of soil to harvesting.
- Leaf Rake – Great for end-of-season clean-up
- Gloves – Can be good to have when weeding or dealing with various other tasks. I recommend taking them off for planting. It just feels good to get your hands dirty sometimes.
Notice anything missing? How about a roto-tiller? I don’t use a roto-tiller because all of my vegetable beds are raised, a practice that I highly recommend. Tilling, while perhaps useful for large plots, should be avoided, in general, as the repeated practice actually damages soil structure. Plus, it’s a lot of work.
In addition to some of the tools mentioned above, you may need soil amendments and fertilizers to get your garden off to a good start. Check out this page for some recommendations.
Do you have any tool that you would recommend? Please, leave a comment below.